This page may contain affiliate links. This means at no additional cost to you we may receive a commission if you purchase a product from one of our links. We only recommend products we love.
Mac and Cheese and Keto together seem like an oxymoron, but never say never. All we need to change out are those pesky macaronis. Replace them with the ever famous Cauliflower and BAM!, you have a healthy low carb, gluten free, keto Mac and Cheese dish that will become everyone’s new favorite!!
I tried to make this Mac and Cheese recipe as simple as possible. Just like all the recipes on our Keto and You blog, you can add or take a way ingredients to make it your own. Maybe you like a LOT of cheese or you want to try a different kind of cheese. Then go for it!! I have already tried replacing the Cheddar-Jack cheese blend with 2 cups Cheddar and 1 cup Jalapeno Jack, while adding some ground cayenne instead of the onion powder. It gave it some heat and was a fun change! Experiment for yourself and enjoy eating a guilt free Mac & Cheese!!
For quick and easy prepping, I used this Hand Chopper. I found that while chopping the Cauliflower, it was easier to separate the flower part from the stem before chopping to get more uniform Cauliflower pieces. This is because the flower tops will only take a couple of chops, since they like to crumble apart, while the stems will take several chops to cut apart. You want to have your cauliflower all roughly chopped, but don’t worry when there are smaller pieces than others, just do your best. Once you have the cauliflower chopped, place it all in the water pot and bring it to a boil. Start timing the 6-7 minutes, when the boil starts. This will help ensure proper tenderness. We want a more Macaroni noodle consistency than a steamed or mashed vegetable.
After your Cauliflower becomes tender. Strain the water out and place it back into the pot. At this point, you will start to add the remaining ingredients, except the bacon bits and 1/2 cup cheese to use as a topping. Stir it all together on a very low heat until it is all melted in.
Once its all mixed together, pour your cauliflower mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and add your toppings. I used the Kraft Real Bacon Bits to keep it simple, but you can make your own bacon and crumble it on top. Either way, the bacon really makes this dish taste delicious! Besides, it’s BACON!!! At this point, if you don’t want to dirty another dish, you can keep it in the pot and just stir in the bacon and remaining cheese. Otherwise, add your bacon and more cheese on top and bake it until the top cheese is melted. However it’s presented, it will all taste yummy!
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese Bake
- 32 Ounces Cauliflower, Roughly Chopped (Approximately 1 1/2 Heads of Cabbage)
- 3 1/2 Cups Cheddar-Jack Cheese, grated (Save 1/2 Cup for topping)
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese (Softened)
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 4.5 Ounces Kraft Real Bacon Bits (Or use 1 Cup Crumbled Cooked Bacon)
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, Ground
- In a large pot, add Chopped Cauliflower and fill with water.
- Bring to boil and boil for 6-7 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Do not over cook. It's better to have an al dente cauliflower than a mushy one.
- Drain the Cauliflower through a colander and return it to the pot.
- Stir in Cream Cheese, Heavy Cream, Seasonings, and 3 Cups of the Cheddar-Jack Cheese until cheese is fully melted.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese and Bacon bits.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted on top.