This page may contain affiliate links. This means at no additional cost to you we may receive a commission if you purchase a product from one of our links. We only recommend products we love.
I love Mexican Food, but the rice and beans are a big no, no, while eating Keto. With a little imagination and some cheese magic, we can have our Tacos and eat them too!!
These tacos shells are made from Cheddar cheese. You can use any cheese that you like depending on your taste buds. The pre-shredded cheese is tossed with a Cellulose, which is made from wood pulp, to keep the cheese from sticking together. It makes a good taco shell because the Cellulose helps absorb the cheese grease and holds it together well. If pre-shredded cheese is not something you use, the grated block cheese works just fine too. Just plan for a bit more grease to drip while its cooling. I also found that the harder the cheese you use, the crispier the shell it makes.
When you remove the shells from the oven, you will need to work fast to drape them over some wooden spoons or a taco tray before they cool. This will form your taco shell! I have always used a wider wooden spoon, because I like to have the wide space in the shell to load my meat and toppings in. I plan on purchasing this Taco tray soon, so I can have the convenience of easier clean up, but the spoons will work for now.
Once your shells are made and hamburger is browned and seasoned to your liking, you are ready to start building your taco! The recipe makes 5 tacos, using lots of ground hamburger. Be sure to add whatever toppings you decide to use to your carb and fat count! Enjoy your tacos!!
- 5 ounces Cheddar Cheese
- 1 pound Ground Hamburger
- 1 Tbl. Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry hamburger until browned. Add Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste. (You can also use taco seasoning, if you prefer)
- Place 1 ounce of Cheese onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cover the parchment paper with 5 different circled piles of cheese. These are going to be your taco shells.
- Bake cheese piles for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. (crispy like).
- Remove baked cheese circles from pan immediately and drape over wooden spoons or taco tray. As they cool, they will harden like a taco shell.
- Dress your taco with any keto friendly foods, like lettuce, salsa, olives, guacamole, and sour cream! Enjoy!